*The Good Earth, Pearl Buck; The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck (Sulu)
*I Never Promised You a Rose Garden (sinyk)
*The Kitchen God's Wife, Amy Tan (AKL and littlwing)
*Angel at my table, Janet Frame; Monkey Grip, Helen Garner (gb)
*Small World and Changing Places, David Lodge (Maggie-M)
*A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth; A Room With a View, E.M Forster.
* Written on the Body, Jeanette Winterson (fauna).
1. Barchester Towers, Anthony Trollope, even if some think he is light weight.
2. The Women's Room, Marilyn French. When this book came out, it did change lives.
3. Cider House Rules; Owen Meanly, John Irving. How is so much writing talent in one
4. Elmer Gantry and Rabbit, Sinclair Lewis. He KNOWS human beings.
5. Possession; Still Life, A.S. Byatt. Cuts to the quick. Booker winner.
6. Johnno, David Malouf. His first, slimmest and best novel.
7. The Elected Member; Brothers; Madame Sousatzka and esp Birds of Passage, by Bernice Rubens. Deserves her Booker prize.
8. Anita Brookner, Lewis Percy; Hotel du Lac. Creamy writing. Deserves her Booker
9. Utz; Songlines, Bruce Chatwin. Brilliant talent; died tragically young
10. The Sportswriter, Richard Ford. Discovery of the 1980s.