In Sydney Morris & Co's work may be seen at All Saints' Anglican church at Hunters Hill, which is the proud owner of two stained glass windows made to designs by Sir Edward Burne-Jones (1833–98). The window Sydneysiders love most is the portrayal of Christ at the Transfiguration. The Sydney version of the The Transfiguration is very similar to the 1910 Transfiguration that William Morris & Co made for the Egremont Prebyterian Church in Wallasey. Only more pastel and gentle.
Transfiguration window, All Saints Hunters Hill, Sydney
Federation window, Morris & Co., owned by the South Australian Art Gallery, 301 x 210 cm
The Federation window was designed in 1900 by John Henry Dearle, a man who trained with William Morris and became the company’s chief designer. The three lower panels depict the British Empire, with life-sized figures representing Australia, India Africa and Canada on either side. The three upper panels represent morning, sun and evening, based on designs of the British painter, Edward Burne-Jones; note the central figure representing Britannia holds a wreath framing the word Federation.
By 1902 the window was installed in the Adelaide building, lighting the main staircase. Insured for a million dollars, the Federation window has now been donated to the South Australian Art Gallery by a Spanish businessman who sold the building to the State Government in 2007.
In total there were 10 Morris & Co stained glass windows created for, and shipped to Adelaide, but this is the only one that related to a contemporary and important event in Australia's history. It will remain where it is at the top of the main staircase of the old Stock Exchange, unless the building is sold.
Today the building houses the Science Exchange of the Royal Institution of Australia, so the window can best be viewed during the Royal Institute's business hours.