18 September 2026

HandleBar Adelaide - pub on wheels

The HandleBar Adelaide uses vehicles devised by brothers Henk and Zwier Van Laar in Amsterdam in the 1990s. The four-wheel, open frame vehicles, the size of a family car, have allowed fans to take in dozens of US, European and Asian cityscapes, beer in hand, since the vehicles were first tested. Americ-an Stephen Lindsay and Australian Jason Seris operated 9 of the Amsterdam-manufactured vehicles in the U.S since they took up the venture in 2012. The vehicles were brought to Adelaide in 2016 by Lindsay & Seris because the 2 men found the project has most positive impact in smaller cities. The two men chose Adelaide because they liked the size. From experience in the USA, they found that a somewhat smaller city was generally more receptive

Driving down Franklin St
Experience Adelaide

The men met extensively with Adelaide City Council and State Government agencies to ensure compliance in safety, food and alcohol service, waste disposal, suitable city routes and stopping points. The final stages of securing a liquor licence for the vehicles was critical.

Australia’s first pub on wheels in Adelaide is an open framed, pedal-powered mobile music, fun and drinking experience, offering two-hour tours of the city centre. The bike allows 16 customers to book a tour, pedalling around the CBD at 10 ks per hour, and the company provides the driver. They are tot-ally powered by the pedalling passengers with the driver-bar handler guiding its braking and direction. Each side also has a seat over the wheels, which means they don’t have pedals. Each bike also has a bench in the back that seats 3 people who want a rest and is perfect for those who don’t fit the height (5’3” min) and weight limitations (136 k max).

The HandleBar is great for pre-wedding parties, birthdays, corporate team building and Christmas parties. Australia’s only pedal pub ride includes beer, Adelaide wine, pre-mixed spirits and cider that can be pre-ordered and prepaid online while pedalling around Adelaide’s city centre. Wear sunscreen and hat in summer, comfortable clothes and avoid high heels! The pedal-power exercise is VERY energetic!
 
The driver controls the steering wheel and brakes
Adelaide Mums' Group

Though the vehicle’s speed is provided collectively by the pedalling drinking passengers, steering-braking is the sole responsibility of the driver/bar handler. And while they’re cruising around the city, the bike itself the license making it legal to drink on. So the designated driver  maintains control of the vehicle at all times and the riders don’t have control of steering or braking. And the Adelaide City Council controls vehicle compliance and safety, food and alcohol service, waste disposal, suitable city routes and hotel stopping points en route have been satisfied. Lindsey, who drives one of the vehicles, says he and Seris were in discussion with local bars about stopping off during the tours, choosing handpicked, small pub-crawl stopping points for their customers. For comfort onboard, drinks are pre-organised and paid for online before leaving the starting point, so there no need for cash. If a customer thinks that pedalling tends to make him peckish, he can bring snacks on board. If the whole group pre-books food, everyone can enjoy progressive dinner sampling at some of Adelaide's favourite eateries.

The HandleBar Homebase
Tripadvisor

While the tour drives around,  the customers pedal the streets of Adelaide, enjoying a drink to remain hydrated. Making 2-3 stops along the way, and waving to pedestrians, it is heaps of fun! Sip and sing through Adelaide's vibrant WestEnd aboard a giant party bike. HandleBar trips are Adelaide's most talked-about experiences.

A vehicle can operate with as few as 6 people, people who can decorate the bike, and play their own tunes for a personal touch. There is only one thing I, Helen, cannot find i.e confirmation that the bikes feature electric assistance so groups can pedal less and party more if they choose. I hope it is true. I broke the bottom of one leg 2 legs ago and could not pedal even some of the time.

An organised tour filling two vehicles
Adelaide Mums' Group

Bookings for groups cost $400 Sun-Thu, $500 Fri-Sat. The minimum number per bike is 6, the maximum per bike is 16. Larger parties can rent multiple bikes, the price per party bike remaining fixed regardless of party size. Get details and start planning the adventure at The HandleBar.




20 comments:

  1. Don't we oldies need a seat back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. granny
      There is no official upper age limit, as long as you can board and participate comfortably. The bench at the back of the bike is perfect for those who don’t fit the height and weight needs: it has no pedals, so older passengers can sit back, drink and enjoy the music, while the rest of the group pedals :)

      Delete
  2. Well that would be fun, Hels. It certainly is a good idea and to incorporate some Pubs around the city center too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret
      once other world cities heard about the Amsterdam experience, they were very keen to try the pub-on-wheels in the centre of their own towns. I think it is inevitable that Australia's other cities will be watching Adelaide carefully, reading their reviews very carefully! And the pubs look very keen to participate, don't they :)

      Delete
  3. I'll join you for a glass of wine in the passive non pedalling seats. I saw these machines twice in Europe but I can't remember which cities. One may have been Amsterdam. They do look like they are great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew
      yes! I don't ever drink beer, but that is no problem apparently. We can order the white wine or fruit drinks before leaving on the trip, wear summer hats and enjoy the music. Re pedalling, you might have to book the passive seats early on, in case there are other elderlies keen to hop aboard.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgiy
      you are correct that Melbourne has amazing energy, but the post is about Adelaide which I hope you enjoy just as much.
      But lease do not ever advertise casinos in my blog. Casinos are very dangerous to addicts and to families who lose their incomes :(

      Delete
  5. Hello Hels, These seem like a new, interactive way to tour some interesting areas. I hope the sound is not too excessive. My first concern was a traveling liquor license, but they have boat tours with alcohol (although I personally am a non-drinker).
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parnassus
      The music has to compete with pedestrians, cars, trams, buses and the 16 passengers waving hello to Adelaide. So I wouldn't worry about excessive music.
      But I would worry a bit about excessive drinking, since in lots of the photos I have seen, it looks like young people having a ball.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I have seen this orange one but I have seen one or two in the past, I think one was owned by the Brewery, it was more rustic looking, and have seen one with what appeared to be wedding guests. I have never seen one when I have a camera handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River
      I hope you and your friends book a tour, and send a review to this post after you get back home. And take a photo or two that I could include.

      Delete
  7. Drinks menu
    Everything on board, and what it costs:
    beer, cider, wine, spirits, soft drinks, fruit juice and hard seltzer, and mocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The HandleBar
    Excellent, thank you. One of the readers has already indicated he is teetotal and I indicated that I never drink beer. Thankfully you will be able to meet our special needs in the privacy of the payment area :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boa noite minha querida amiga Helen. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Nunca vi um veículo parecido como esse, aqui no Brasil. Obrigado pelas informações detalhadas. Uma excelente noite de sábado, bom final de semana, para você e todos os seus familiares na Austrália e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luiz
    Until this year, I had never heard of a pub on wheels either, not in Amsterdam, Adelaide or anywhere else. It looks fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m quite amazed that you turned my casual photograph of that Adelaide car-park mural into such a fascinating story. I only wish I had known enough then to visit the bar itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. roentare
      the Adelaide car park mural represented such a wonderful event in that city..
      I cannot thank you enough.

      Delete
  12. This sounds like a lot of fun but I'd need to train for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie
      it would take a LOT of training for unfit, overweight or elderly participants. Or ensure less fit people book the back 3 seats not connected to pedals at all!

      But for averagely fit people, simply take sensible care of your legs etc. When pedalling becomes laborious, stop pedalling for a while and leave it to the other 15 travellers. In summer wear a hat, suntan cream, light clothes and ensure you have plenty of drink on board.

      Delete