26 September 2026

Remember hopscotch from 1950s & 1960s?

Although I assumed my post-WW2 generation invented hopscotch, that seems highly unlikely. The earliest confirmed mention of the game actually comes from Britain in C17th; in fact a manuscript book of games from 1635-72 by Francis Willughby and an entry in Poor Robin's Almanack for 1677 contain the earliest references.

Hopscotch players on side of road
The grid was added in chalk
Te Ara New Zealand

Children all over the world play Hopscotch in much the same way, but the patterns they draw can be very different. Children in Scotland have a game where the pattern is like bananas lying next to each other. In Japan there is a pattern that looks like an old telephone with a rotary dial, and in France there is Escargot, a pattern that looks like a snail. In Vietnam there is a game called Build A House, which has floods, fires and the Mekong River, and in China there is a game with an animal’s head at the top of the pattern. There are clearly many different versions of the game.

In Australian schoolyards, the most common pattern was Aeroplane Hoppy with 8 squares. It was usually painted on the ground although some schools had/have chalk for children to use at lunch time, so they can draw their own patterns. This means that Hopscotch can be changing.

As I discovered in my Melbourne primary school, the boys had a full size football field while the girls were given a smaller area of paved ground for games. So small that only a small number of friends could play girls’ games. To play hoppy as we called it, the squares were marked out in chalk and therefore used primarily in summer (to avoid the winter rain). It was shaped as a grid of lined-up squares dispersed with blocks of 2 lateral squares, ending in a home base shaped as a semicircle. The squares are then numbered in the sequence in which they are to be hopped.

A game of hopscotch
Dept of Education, Sth Australia

Each player tossed a small flat marker called a taw in post-WW2 Melbourne (eg coin, large button, horizontal stone) into a numbered square, hopping through the court without stepping on lines or the marker, and picking it up on the way back. The player stopped in the square before the marker, reached down to retrieve the marker and continued the course as stated. This had to be without touching a line or stepping into a square with another player's marker.

I know that hopscotch is said to still be popular but I haven’t seen it played for decades. Then this week outside my coffee shop, I saw the chalk grid laid out on the concrete and some young girls playing as if 1958 was still here ! There have been different versions of this game recorded over the years and in different countries, but hopscotch was and still is an effective form of play that teaches children important skills: hand-eye coordination; balance; body control; social development; arithmetic skills; and leadership. Played in most outdoor places it encouraged physical activity because there were no competing activities: no tv, no mobile phones and no computer games back then. So are these skills still crucial in the modern world because they limit screen time?

Playing jacks, 1954
Facebook

Hula hoops, 
Coleham Primary

skippy on London streets in the 50s
Facebook

There were other memorable games in the 1950s and 60s eg yo-yos, jacks, hula hoops, Oranges and Lemons and Cat’s Cradle string game and skippy. But some of these games were played by children sitting on their bottoms and didn't encourage any physical activity. And there were some games that required the children to buy and bring their own games pieces to school. Unlike hopscotch which only required the teacher to lend a piece of chalk.

If you played hopscotch at school in the 1950s and 1960s, I would be delighted to hear from you. If you played hopscotch since then, let me know if your game differed from how I described it.




24 comments:

  1. I recall hop scotch, and playing jacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peppylady
      Thank you! I added jacks as soon as I read your comment.

      Delete
  2. Hopscotch is played still here by the neighbours kids, it has been around a long time. I didn't know it was played in so many countries using different pattens thanks I really liked this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo-Anne
      I am very pleased to hear about your neighbourhood children. I hadn't seen the chalk grid on the ground since approximately 1960 and I felt a surge of emotional memories for a few minutes.

      Delete
  3. Growing up in the 50's and 60's , we played hopscotch all the time. There was not much TV and no computers so we had to create ways to entertain our selves. We played outside for hours and hopscotch was one of the games. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gluten Free
      no tvs and no computers!! that says it all!
      And no parents wanted their children inside at lunchtime and after school.

      Delete
  4. Yes, these skills are still crucial, though children addicted to screens might disagree with me. I plan on teaching the twins when they are a bit older and taller. If I can still hop by then. It's annoying having boobs that smack you in the face when trying to hop, jump or run.
    I remember our primary school having a large paved area and a large grassed "oval" and either gender was allowed to play wherever they pleased. Hopscotch was popular from grade three to about grade six, then the girls began more grown up things like lipstick and giggling about boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River
      That was all true for me too. But after Grade 6, children went off to different high schools and may have lost their best primary school friends.
      So from Form 1 on, what did the girls do at lunchtime? Practise hockey and basketball?

      Delete
    2. River, I want videos of when you play hoppy with your grand twins.

      Delete
    3. Andrew
      My family wants a video of the youngest grandchild playing on the computer, helping me!

      Delete
  5. not seeing a particular game being played can lead adults to conclude that the game has died out and exists only in their own nostalgic play memories. The reality is that games based in collectibles are highly dependent on those collectibles being available.

    Seeing as children are not usually in charge of the retail supply chain I think we could all agree that if we don’t see marbles and jacks being played it is not because today’s children see no value in collectible based play. The proof of that is in just giving children access to a bunch of marbles and ‘poof’, almost like magic, the ‘long-lost’ names and marble games suddenly reappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marc
      most of the parents I knew in the post-war era really did not have enough money to indulge in frivolous toys and games, nor did the children receive proper pocket money in the 1950s. So I really do wonder where one of my brothers got his bag of glass marbles from - winning them from other boys, I suppose.

      Delete
  6. I certainly played it at school. Other boys did too but maybe mostly girls. I'd forgotten the rules until I read them here. I can't remember seeing the word taw written and I assumed the spelling was tor. What memories you have rekindled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew
      my long term memory is normally quite reliable, but I was quite surprised when I saw the hopscotch chalk pattern on the coffee shop front space. I started thinking of who used to play? what did we wear? what happened at lunch time when everyone left primary school? who brought a skipping rope and who brought jacks? where did the students eat lunch in winter, given there was no dining room?

      Delete
    2. We had a shelter shed for lunch when the weather was bad. It smelt bad. There was also a massive oak tree with branches to the ground, a good hideout for funny business that kids got up to. My father built an insulated shelter to keep our school milk cool after delivery. A nice garden surrounded a flagpole with an Australian flag fluttering. We stood there each morning to swear to honour God, Queen, our parents and our teachers. Something like that.

      Delete
    3. Andrew
      I too remember honouring the flag and singing God Save the Queen every Monday morning. The school headmaster led the assembly of all the students and staff.

      Delete
  7. I remember playing both hopscotch and jacks, which was all about eye/hand coordination, Then there was skipping games and playing ball games against the wall. All of course giving us skills in using our bodies. Then mental arithmetic (does anyone remember the drone of chanting our time tables?) Education wasn't so bad after all ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thelma
      I must say I never thought of any of the games as educational - I thought of them as purely recreational at lunch time and full of fresh air.
      But decades and decades later, people still chant arithmetical time tables off by heart and still think whether Miss Parsons would have corrected their spelling.

      Delete
  8. Seeing those chalk squares again reminds us how a simple childhood game could fill an ordinary schoolyard with movement, laughter, friendship and a surprising amount of skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. roentare
      true that! The ordinary primary school yard was indeed full of friendship and movement and laughter. But only very recently have I started to think it might have been encouraged a surprising amount of skill as well.

      Delete
  9. Used to play hopscotch in primary school same time as you did, Hels and what fun it was. Have played with the grandchildren since and it was the same but of course that was a little while ago. Never mastered the Hula Hoop unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret
      Until I saw the chalk grid on the footpath this week, I never thought to ask the grandchildren how they entertained themselves during lunchtime in primary school. I wonder if they even know what hopscotch, skippy and jacks are. As soon as we meet up, I will add their responses to these comments.

      Delete
  10. We played hopscotch, skipping and cats cradle in the late 70s, early 80s. My favourite game was one I can't remember the name of. We had two teams that chased each other around. If you were caught, you stayed in the other teams 'jail'. One player from your team could free everyone by reaching the jail and touching the wall. All the boys and girls played together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy
      the game you described was called Cops and Robbers. I liked it because a] boys and girls played together; b] the gaol was a tree and not a locked-up area; c] plenty of running around and d] it encouraged cooperative teamwork

      Delete